Sunday 13 March 2011

Let's do our bit, Luna family

I had an argument with my wife this afternoon & the "Well, what are you doing?" comment she dropped on me cut a raw nerve. All I am doing is gawping at the TV and trying to keep my eye on a couple of websites (IEAE, USGS, BBC World) and key words on twitter.

I've got a spare room in my house. Pack away the Hina Dolls. Move a few bags. For a family on the run in need of shelter, I think that would be enough for a while. Access to a hot bath, running water, kitchen & hot food, heating and a dry bed. Anybody else manage a spare room?

Shinshu JALT President Mark Brierley agreed with me that at the very least, this would be an offer we could make on behalf of our local teachers' organisation, confident that our membership will back us up. We have no idea what the response will be. We have made an open invitation that through Shinshu JALT we will provide accommodation to families in need of refuge. We may need to back up that offer.

Luna's family: if you are willing to take in a family, contact Jim or Yukari directly please. Who knows, you might get a lot of free English lessons.

Let's do our bit



2 comments:

  1. Jim,
    I heard that there's an Aussie Save The Children team headed to Sendai from Tokyo today to help set up child friendly zones at refuges etc to help the kids play and express themselves to reduce the risks of long term stress and trauma. Maybe a way there you or your community could help with your expertise with Children & being able to speak the lingo? +61 7 3251 9500.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are talking to Save the Children now, hoping to co-ordinate our core base of professionals nationwide with their assessment - there will be a need to look after an awful lot of children. We can do this.

    Brilliant link; thanks bro!

    xxx Jimbo

    ReplyDelete

By all means leave your comments - please do not be offensive, abusive, or rude. We ask you to sign your comment as well, please.