Tuesday 30 November 2010

Goodbye, goodbye, it's time to say Goodbye

The day finally arrived when we asked Yuki & Tana to give us back the keys to the school. They will always have the keys to our hearts and cherished memories of their endless cheerfulness will linger long after we've lost the keys.

Thank you Tana for being super every single day you've been here, last day as bubbly as the first. Everyone will agree she has been a wonderful advert for English teachers in Japan, a (nice & quiet) ambassador for South Africa, a friend & confidant to our adult students and a warm-hearted buddy for all our younger learners. Tana has been great to work with and has never (really) complained or stopped smiling. YOu have seen aspects of her work here on the blog, and rather than me waffling on, I encourage her students to add their voice to my thanks here.

Likewise, I invite you all to 'big up' Yuki. She has been the rock upon which the school was founded. I do not have the words to express my admiration, affection, and faith in Yuki. She has forever been the voice of reason over stupid gaijin boss, of organised calm against stupid chaotic owner, of planning ahead versus where is it Jim. She learnt everything about the school from the ground up - everything necessary about using the computer, immigration law, accountancy, internet connections, banking, gaijin cards, driving licences, studless tyres, children's books, Cambridge ESOL exams, the English language, parenthood, Bon Bon dance, first aid, flu epidemics, tax, bizarre foreigners & their weird girlfriends/habits/food/hair/hygiene, landlords, contracts, train timetables...Yuki is Wikipedia in Japanese. She is a one off, and we will never be able to replace her - and we don't want to. She is staying nearby, and can now concentrate on really being our friend and not having to do everything Jim asks her to. Thank you, Yuki, you have added "Yuki" to a lot of peoples' dictionaries around the world.

Jim, Yukari, Tomoko, Kevin & Naomi all wish you both the very best for your futures. Thank you both for giving so much of yourselves to the students, our community, my school, and to me. Miss you enormously.

Tana Benzon  2007-2010
Yuki Momose 1999 -2010

3 comments:

  1. Thank you Tana and Yuki-chan.
    The Earth is smaller than space, so I can see you again someday somewhere :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's hard to think of one spefic memory of working with Yuki. When I arrived Luna was busy getting settled into a new building, and I was new at the job - names, places, keys, books and games were a blur but Yuki always patiently explained whatever I needed to know, despite the fact that she must have done the same thing for countless teachers before me. Eventually I got the hang of things and I came to realise how hard Yuki had to work to balance the needs of the customers with the business. She took a lot of responsibility and her hard work made life much smoother for everyone except her I imagine, so thank you for that. I do remember making her laugh once one winter's evening after work. I dropped a car off in the car park, went to go home but noticed Yuki's car was running but no one was in it. I ran to the school and breathlessly told her that someone was trying to steal her car while she laughed and showed me a remote control. I was so impressed that in Japan you could turn on and heat your car from 200m away. So I'd like to thank Yuki for her humour and patience in the face of strange foreigners, her kindness to all who come into her office and fundamentally for the fact that she cares so much. You will, I know, be much missed at Luna, Yuki, but I want to wish you all best with the changes you are making in your life.

    Tim Fawcett

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yuki, what will Luna do without you?! You are fabulous. When we worked together, you were always a joy to be around. Best of luck with your family and future endeavors! See you on facebook!

    Michelle Hancock

    ReplyDelete

By all means leave your comments - please do not be offensive, abusive, or rude. We ask you to sign your comment as well, please.