Sunday 25 April 2010

We Didn’t Mean to Go to Sea


I like this kind of reading, adventure, survival and happy ending. Even so, it was a bit predictable ending. If you want to know the plot summary of this book, please click here.

Jim’s question: Please relate this story to the current 'no fly' situation in the UK.
The four Walker children, John, Susan, Titty and Roger at last reached Flushing in the Nether Lands from Harwich in the UK crossing the cold stormy North Sea by small yacht, Goblin. They have no petrol, no IT equipments like GPS, just compass and some food.
Nowadays we can cross the North Sea easily by plane which is the safest transportation in the world. But even the safest transportation by advancement in IT would be often unable to function in a vast natural. For example,
- Volcanic ash incidents involving airliners
- Air crash’s high impact on Polish politics

I think we should realize that we can’t go against the nature even so we have leading knowledge and technology.

By the way, my colleague is visiting Germany on business at this moment. I hope he’ll be able to return to Japan until Golden Week.
Koa
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for connecting the stories Koa!

    Sometimes the journeys we set off on end up being completely & not going to plan. This was one of my favourite books from childhood, and maybe explains why I eventually got interested in sailing (albeit in Fiji not the North Sea!)

    See you sooner or later!

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jim,
    Thank you for your comment. Fiji is one of countries which I want to go someday. I was a backpacker when I was a student and I also didn’t make a plan details when I went to journey.
    See you soon,
    Koa

    ReplyDelete

By all means leave your comments - please do not be offensive, abusive, or rude. We ask you to sign your comment as well, please.