Sunday 25 April 2010

Desert, Mountain, Sea




In this book, there are three stories about adventure, Desert, Mountain and Sea. In each story, there are dangerous and someone or something died, especially the adventure of Mountain, Annapurna is most serious disaster. I like the story of sea. In Naomi’s story, she traveled to sail single-handed across the world’s most dangerous seas. During her dangerous sailing, she kept asking herself the question: ‘Why am I doing this?’ I understood her feeling a little bit. Sometimes I want to travel somewhere else without no reason. When I was a student, I travelled Huhhot, Nei Mongol in China. I just wanted to ride on horse and race around. But when I arrived at Huhhot in March, there is no grass so I couldn’t ride on horse. Then I thought why I was doing there?

7. Do you agree or disagree with these ideas? Why, or why not?
7.4. Expeditions like these are very expensive, and it would be better to spend the money on something else.

I disagree with the idea. I think that these kinds of adventures would be sometimes important even if it costs a lot. I think it depends on what these travelers can give to people. If they give us bravery and impression, it would be considered of value. I think it would be important for adventurers to try something difficult. On the other hand, if they do it only for themselves and there is no difficulty, I think it would be not important like my travel in Huhhot.
Annapurna I (left) and Fang (right) from the westHere is an example. Have you ever heard of the name, Nobukazu Kuriki, who is a young alpinist. He is now trying to climb Mt. Everest alone without oxygen. There is no alpinist who could succeed to climb Mt. Everest alone without oxygen in Japan. He used to be Hikikomori, but now he is one of the most famous alpinists in Japan. His purpose climbing mountain is that his adventures give people bravery and impression. He needed a lot of money to climb Mt. Everest. I hope he will succeed to climb Mt. Everest and give impression all of people in the world.
Image via Wikipedia
Desert, Mountain, Sea

Masao Kuroda
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

3 comments:

  1. http://www.explorersweb.com/everest_k2/news.php?id=18173 to follow the young Japanese climber up Everest

    Hopefully see you in class again before he gets to the top!

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please see the travelogue from Tim also posted today; Tim used to work at Luna & has since found bigger challenges!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heavens!

    The story gets stranger and stranger - did she actually get to the top, or did she fake it?!

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/8646995.stm

    ReplyDelete

By all means leave your comments - please do not be offensive, abusive, or rude. We ask you to sign your comment as well, please.