Sunday 4 May 2008

Death in the Dojo

I found this book was not a puzzler or howdunit I had expected by "death" in the title. In fact, Japanese flavor especially in the beginning was not interesting to me, a Japanese reader, and the murderer without any surprise was disappointing. But the book still didn't allow me to close it halfway after starting reading. The plot and characters were made very effectively.

Works (after reading)
1. Which character do you like the most? Why?

Brendan Murphy. Because he had behaved gentle, in his letters, to the related people in such a hopeless situation.

2. Think about the relationship between Kate Jensen and her father, Tony Jensen. What has been Kate learnt from her father?

Tony's approach to his daughter, was permissive. He has only advised her and left her to do what she liked if it was something risky. I think she has learnt from him how to decide her matters on her own.
The relationship between them has been very good and her choice of job was likely affected by her respect for father.

5. Do you think the punishment for murder should be death?

Under conditions like this story, I don't think so. But I am not abolitionary to the death punishments. There are someone certainly deserved it.

2 comments:

  1. I think capital punishment is a difficult subject, but I personally feel the punishment should fit the crime. However, sometimes the crime is so heinous there's no way any good can come of it. In the end, a death sentence becomes revenge or retribution. I was thinking of Saddam? Also, how do you punish someone like Shoko Asahara (barking mad) or Milosovic for war crimes? My reaction to hearing the story about the Austrian guy who brutally mistreated his daughter etc was that he only deserves extreme and continuing punishment akin to that he gave out...but that's cruel, and would achieve nothing, would it?

    Thorny one to wrestle with. Jim

    ReplyDelete

By all means leave your comments - please do not be offensive, abusive, or rude. We ask you to sign your comment as well, please.